The Senior Manager of Advancement Operations is a new role created to provide operational leadership in the advancement department at an exciting time of growth at MASS MoCA.
The Senior Manager will oversee the robust and effective use of our CRM (Tessitura) and lead the operations critical to our successful fundraising effort, including: prospect research, gift processing, stewardship, financial reporting and pipeline management, and annual fund management. The successful candidate will be a systems thinker and collaborative leader who is highly skilled in the use of donor management systems and who has a deep understanding of managing comprehensive fundraising programs. Primary responsibilities include staff supervision and mentorship (Advancement Services Coordinator), pipeline development and management, preparing financial reports, training and documentation, database maintenance, supervision of accurate and timely gift processing and stewardship, prospect management and research.
This position requires ability to work a flexible schedule, with availability on weekends and holidays, and for events, programs, and festivals, including those after museum hours as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the advancement and museum leadership to manage the pipelines for requests across all income sources – individual, corporate, government, and foundations.
- Oversee accurate management of all donor gifts and grant funding in our CRM database and other tracking tools; provide reports for financial reporting and reconciliation and reporting to senior leadership and the Board.
- Supervise the advancement services coordinator in managing robust, timely, and accurate stewardship and gift acknowledgements, including generating receipts and managing thank you letter personalization.
- Coordinate, in partnership with advancement colleagues, effective donor relations efforts, including tracking multi-year gift agreements and pledges as well as producing reports on use of funds.
- Work collaboratively with finance department colleagues to complete regular reconciliations to ensure all donations are accurately accounted for, allocated, and reported; gather required donor information for 990 tax filings and annual financial audit.
- Produce research profiles on individuals, corporations and foundations, using internal sources (Tessitura, iWave, giving records) and outside resources.
- Work collaboratively with advancement and communications colleagues and outside vendors to manage and execute annual fund and other fundraising appeals, including direct mail and online campaigns; oversee list segmentation/exporting and personalization.
- Collaborate with the communications team to manage donor communications and platform engagement, including event invitations, email newsletters, direct mailings, renewal solicitations, sponsorship proposals, acknowledgments, and website integrations for donor payment systems.
- Work with Communications and Content for updated content for advancement sections of the MASS MoCA website and other advancement templates and communication materials.
- Collaborate with finance colleagues to ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain accountability standards to donors, and ensure confidentiality and compliance with the code of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct for fundraising.
- Serve as advancement team lead on internal Tessitura user group to maximize connection with other departments (including Visitor Services and Membership)
- Perform other related duties, as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent experience.
- 3 - 5 years related experience supporting or managing development operations in a nonprofit setting, preferably in the arts.
- Leadership experience using relational databases/CRMs including a knowledge of querying and reporting from databases is required; preference for experience with Tessitura.
- Proficiency in Google Workspace, Excel, Microsoft Word and project management tools (Asana)
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; systems and analytical thinker
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and successfully execute competing tasks/projects in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work with all levels of management, board members, donors and stakeholders with ease, discretion and diplomacy
- Sound judgment in maintaining confidentiality of donor information
- Experience working in a startup environment is a plus
- Passion for MASS MoCA’s mission
- Willing to wear PPE when necessary
For employment at MASS MoCA, candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with at least one booster. Proof of vaccination will be required for employment.
Minimum starting wage: $65K annually.
Job Type : Full-Time
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : Administrative