Position Overview: The Education & Community Engagement Manager builds relationships between the Mahaiwe Performing Arts Center and the communities it serves; plays a visible role in the community; advises the programming team on education and community programs; enlists participation in programming by individuals, schools, and social service organizations; leads and builds consensus among volunteers; and manages and tracks activities and resources. Specifically, the Education & Community Engagement Manager makes all arrangements related to school field trips, in-school artist residencies, the Partnering with Latinx Communities Program, and other efforts and events that broaden audience inclusion.
Schedule: Part-time, 15-20 hours/week. Variable schedule, occasional evenings and weekends required.
Reports to: Executive Director
Hourly rate: $21.00-23.00
- Coordinate education programming, including field trips, in-school residencies and workshops.
- Recruit audiences for fieldtrips, and classes for in-school residencies.
- Work with Associate General Manager to secure press packets, curriculum guides, and other collateral from performing artists.
- Track participation data (schools, # of children, age groups, etc.).
- Maintain contact information for schools and communicate regularly with school administrators regarding upcoming education programs.
- Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to develop practices that reduce barriers to participation and belonging for under-served groups, particularly immigrants, people living with disabilities, individuals with low income, and LGBTQ+ individuals
- Actively engage with various communities to learn their specific program interests.
- Recruit community engagement volunteers; provide strategic direction and manage communication between volunteers and staff.
- Spanish-language Community Advisory Network (SCAN):
- Guide a team of advisors from within the Latinx communities to increase engagement with the Spanish-language community on an ongoing basis.
- Create bilingual meeting agendas, program materials, surveys, and communication materials
- Organize and Co-chair quarterly SCAN meetings
- Attend monthly, online meetings with the Berkshire Alliance to Support the Immigrant Community (BASIC), an alliance of Berkshire-based organizations who serve immigrants.
- Plan and execute events, such as meetings, performances, receptions, volunteer work efforts, and school-related activities
- Reach out to districts, schools, and social-service non-profits, creating and maintaining relationships with key personnel
- Assist fundraising colleagues with funding appeals and reports related to these programs
- Work with Marketing Manager to prepare digital and print versions of promotional pieces for education and community engagement programming;
- Represent the Mahaiwe at community events, speaking panels and press interviews
- Generate and collect feedback mechanisms for gauging the effectiveness of programs
- Readiness to work in an environment that values and includes diverse group identities
- Ability to manage sensitive or controversial subjects with tact, kindness, and professionalism
- Strong organization and time-management
- Creative problem-solving and flexible mindset
- Highly effective written and oral communication
- Proven ability to build trust with, recruit, and motivate people
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings and weekends at performances and events.
Additional Desirable Skills/Experience:
- Experience working with communities of color, immigrant communities, non-English speaking communities, or communities with low income.
- Ability to converse in Spanish or Portuguese.
- Experience working with people of different physical, intellectual and developmental abilities.
How to Apply:
Send resume and a brief paragraph in answer to each of the following questions to HR@mahaiwe.org
- What about this job particularly appeals to you?
- What makes you uniquely qualified for this job?
- How would your coworkers describe you?
Job Type : Part-time
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : Administrative